Where the Green Fern Grows. . .

There’s a place on the East side of our home where the green ferns grow.  Now these aren’t just any ordinary ferns. . .these ferns hold a special place in my heart.

DSC01505

These ferns were starts from my sweet Mother.  She grew them at the end of her deck on the North side of her home.  I started with just a few and they continue to reproduce.

DSC01503

I have always loved ferns.  There is nothing quite like them growing wild in the canyon.  About 5 years ago I started picking up fern décor.  My first purchase was this simplistic platter with the fern gracing the left hand side.

DSC01618

A couple years ago I found the paper pressed framed fern in a thrift shop.  It had a gold frame and green matting. An easy fix with white paint and burlap.

DSC01619

The bottles came next.  They usually reside in our half bath off the kitchen.

DSC01623

DSC01627

A recent trip to Joanne’s brought me three new items.  All at 50% off.

DSC01620

I found this round box. . .

DSC01622

and the paper weight.  I had picked up the designed ball on clearance somewhere and this morning (while cleaning out a drawer) I found this postcard of ‘fern canyon’ in OR sent to us in ‘2009’ by our daughter, Kylee

DSC01626

They are housed in a flower terrarium from T.J. Maxx.

DSC01625

Now back to Joanne’s and my 3rd find.  Well, it was actually spied by my sister, Jeanne.  Here she came up the isle toting it and said, “thought you might want this”.  Why on earth would she think that? lol!

DSC01621

I love this pitcher and it made the perfect vase for some of my gorgeous ferns. Thanks sis!

DSC01628

Although a lot of my home is decorated Americana for the summer, I had to showcase my fern collection.

I put it all together in the living room and this is what I got.

DSC01629

DSC01630

I couldn’t decide which angle was the best. Hee-hee!

Thinking the sides are a little too even.  Guess I’ll be doing a little mixing up.  The decorating never ends here!

*NOTE:  I moved the round box to the right side and that did the trick.  Easy peasy!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

Fishtail Cottage for Garden Party

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

Thoughts from Alice for Sundays at Home

25 comments

Unknown said...

Wow...I love all of the fern decor! It looks great! So green and crisp and summery! Your shelf is awesome and I love how you have styled it! Thanks for sharing!!!

Susie said...

Jann, I love the green. Your shelf looks so nice . Fine job on that vignette. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Liz @ Sit With Me In My Garden said...

That's so neat that you have that connection with your mom and the ferns. I have a fern corner off of my deck- and they took off too! I cut some and used them in an arraignment and they're holding up really well. You have some very nice pieces with fern accents.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Jann, your mantle/shelf is perfect. Just the right amount of asymmetry. I too love ferns, but don't have room for ostrich ferns like you have. Actually I keep a few, maybe 20 or 30 but have to pull out that many each year as well. I have a few special ferns though - slow reproducers - that I use as specimen plantings in my shade garden. There are some really cool ferns out there.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh, Jann- it looks AWESOME!

Now I will think of you every single time I see something ferny!

Have a wonderful weekend my sweet lady friend. Hugs.

Stacey said...

How pretty!! You have so many wonderful collections. Ferns are a timeless look so you can't go wrong with that.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty! I also love ferns, but have never tried to grow my own. As a matter of fact have not been unable to keep one over Winter.
I am past due for a trip to J's.
Enjoy your evening.

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
Like I have always said you rock with the vignettes. Your ferns look awesome. Glad you have something from your mom's garden that is thriving in your garden now. So sweet. Have a wonderful week end.
Kris

Debby Ray said...

Ooh...very pretty, Jann...I love ferns too. So very lush and green. So nice that you have been able to keep the ones from your mom!

cynthia lee designs said...

Very pretty...love it!!
Have a great weekend.
hugs,
Cindy

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Very Pretty!

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Rose L said...

I LOVE the fern decor! I am definitely keeping that in mind for when I move into my new home (gotta sell mine first and then find one!).

sweetbriardreams said...

I have just seen my parents' new fern in their garden with the fronds unfurling. They are so beautifully fresh and delicate, yet a strong and powerful addition to any garden or home. Have a wonderful weekend xx

Gayla said...

So pretty! I love the motif carried out in the room. I have ferns outside my door. My mom started them, and I live with her, and we have shared starts with a lot of friends.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love those ferns! I have them all over my yard. I think they are called Christmas tree ferns. I have not seen any fern accessories but I will be looking out for them now! I shop at JoAnn's too!

lynn said...

Love the fern shelf! So nature-y and beautiful. What a great idea.

Melanie said...

Jann,
Just found your blog and I love your style...Have a great weekend!

Deborah Montgomery said...

very pretty Jann, and a sweet connection with your mother.

Tea in the Library said...

So lovely made lovelier by the memories of your mom.

Linda Walker said...

Jann,
What a beautiful collection of fern decor you have! So, so pretty! It's been a while since I checked in, so I have to catching up to do here!
Linda
mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

Linda Walker said...

Jann,
What a beautiful collection of fern decor you have! So, so pretty! It's been a while since I checked in, so I have to catching up to do here!
Linda
mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

I have always liked ferns, and once decorated my entire bedroom in the Fern & Butterfly pattern by Vera. That was way back in the 70's, but to this day that bedroom remains one of my favorites. Love all your fern décor, Jann. ~ Nancy

Elaine said...

I love your ferns, Jann. You have a lovely collection and display. Ferns always make me think of camping in Arkansas. Good memories. Thanks for sharing!

rush said...

What a lovely vignette. I love ferns, too.

Revi said...

I love how you pulled this together, and the end result is FABULOUS! Pinning...:)

Instagram