Stitched with Love. . .

Have you ever taken the time to think about how Betsy Ross must have felt while having the honor of making Americas first flag?

DSC01832

This post is in honor of that courageous woman who lost two husbands during the war.

I gathered some of the vintage sewing items that I picked up a couple weeks ago at a yard sale and showcased them under a small cloche.  I placed a plump little Uncle Sam made from red and white ticking next to it.

DSC01831

DSC01839

In June 1776, brave Betsy was a widow struggling to run her own upholstery business. Upholsterers in colonial America not only worked on furniture but did all manner of sewing work, which for some included making flags. According to Betsy, General Washington showed her a rough design of the flag that included a six-pointed star. Betsy, a standout with the scissors, demonstrated how to cut a five-pointed star in a single snip. Impressed, the committee entrusted Betsy with making our first flag

Betsy came from a Quaker family and was expelled from the Family Meeting when she married John Ross who was from another religion.  She was already acquainted with both George and Martha because they sat in the pew directly across from her and John each Sunday.

DSC01835

On June 14, 1777, the Continental Congress, seeking to promote national pride and unity, adopted the national flag. "Resolved: that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation."

DSC01827

I have collected 6 patriotic buttons.  The yellow ribbon is one that was given to me when my husband was activated for Desert Storm.

DSC01836

Thanks to talented Betsy we have the five pointed star.

DSC01833

DSC01840

The story of Betsy was not told until 1873 by her grandson.  There are those who question as to whether or not she actually made the first flag.

I am a believer and I can’t help but think that a little love went into each and every stitch!

God Bless America!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

Thoughts from Alice for Sundays at Home

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Melissas Antiques for Thrifty Things Friday

Knick of Time Tuesday

27 comments

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a darling display you've put together, Jann! Thanks for the folklore behind the creation of the American flag, too. I believe it. :)

Stacey said...

Neat post, Jann! When I was a little bitty girl my mom sold Betsy Ross flags in Dallas. I remember riding around in the car with her while she did it. I believe in Betsy too...goodness knows we teach that version of the story in school.

Susie said...

Jann, Right before school was out, my granddaughter portrayed Betsy Ross in a school bit. I asked her if she made me a flag and she laughed. Said she only spoke not sewed. LOL. Love your old machine....wish we still had our products made in America. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Jann I loved this! God bless America and just all the history and brave men and women!
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
Life does seem to go so fast!
We have a vacation coming up soon.
Blessings to you and yours, Roxy

cynthia lee designs said...

am a believer and I can’t help but think that a little love went into each and every stitch! I am a believer too and can just picture Betsy lovingly stitching the first flag.
hugs,
Cindy

mimi_62 said...

Loved this post. But, I enjoy them all

The Charm of Home said...

This is a great vignette Jann. That sewing machine is beautiful!
Sherry

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
LOVE your display and the sweet little sewing machine!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Hugs,
Deb

Art and Sand said...

A beautiful post.

Sarah said...

Flag Day is coming up! I enjoyed your post and tribute to Betsy Ross. Your patriotic vignette is sweet.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh Jann, thank you so much for this history of Betsy Ross. I did not know this. I firmly believe that she did make the first flag.
Love the patriotic vignette.
Mary

Patti said...

This post captured my attention from beginning to end. I love your cloche, and the entire vignette. I believe in Betsy, too!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I LOVE your display! LOVE Button is needed my friend! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Deborah Montgomery said...

So interesting Jann! I love the display in the cloche, and your whole vignette. Blessings to you today, Deborah

Rose L said...

I do not think they taught us anything about Betsy Ross except that she had sewn the flag.

Cynthia said...

Loved this post, I always love seeing our flag. It is so beautiful and special when it blows with the breeze. What great things to relearn about our flag. Love the vignette you put together.

Cynthia

Maureen Wyatt said...

Jann, I really love your display. It looks great and certainly captures the history of the moment!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Maybe that's why I choose to only sew on Singer Featherweights. They are rich in history.
Brenda

Nancy said...

I think we have the most beautiful flag in the world, Jann. Thanks for sharing Betsy's story, and your lovely display. XX ~ Nancy

Anonymous said...

Nice post, and I love your photos. Gorgeous!

Stacey Johnson said...

I Love all the patriotic items, Jann. Very inspiring. I just finished putting out all my red, white and blue goodies :) Have a great day. Stacey

Stacey Johnson said...

I Love all the patriotic items, Jann. Very inspiring. I just finished putting out all my red, white and blue goodies :) Have a great day. Stacey

Winnie said...

What a wonderful post Jann!
I'm very patriotic, and as so I admire that you are too, and it doesn't matter that we are from different nations.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

What a great post, Jann! and a lovely way to celebrate the Red, White and Blue:)Loving the cute way you displayed the vintage sewing items under the cloche. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post with us~hugs, Poppy

ThrifterSisters said...

Jann, you have such an amazing eye for decorating. That cloche with all the vintage sewing supplies is such a sweet and original idea. I bet it won't be too long before someone tries it out in their own home.

Happy Sunday!

Erica

rush said...

While we'll probably never know the "real" story about Betsy Ross and our flag, the story that we all know is a special one. It's amazing how politics wove into your story in the way that there was still a religious intolerance even after our nation was settling after a break with the Church of England. And, the political button that has the yellow ribbon on it and says something about bringing all of our service people home is definately not the sentiment that some want to hear when talking about bringing home Sgt. Bergdahl. Cheers for the Red, White and Blue!

Melissa said...

Love these patriotic vignettes! Thanks for sharing @ TTF!

Instagram