Making Room(s). . .

Hello my friends.  I have always thought that your garden should be an extension of your home.

After all, we spend plenty of time out there during the summer.

Extra rooms, one might say.   By creating rooms in the garden you are inviting visitors to wander and discover.

Your gardens should reflect your style and personality.  As you will soon see, mine are a bit eclectic; just like my home.

In the next few posts I will be sharing some of my garden rooms with you.

What better place to start than in the entry?  Like most of you, I have two entrances into our gardens.  This one is on the East side.

DSC01899

Although it looks like a simple moss wreath hanging on the gate. . .it really is a large plastic marquee letter ‘O’ that I covered with sheet moss.  Welcome to the ‘Olson’ gardens!

DSC01898

We just added the flagstone pathway last week.  I planted moss and other steppables between some of the rocks.

DSC01900

Now let’s step over to the entrance on the West side of our home.  No, this is not a square letter ‘O’.  It is actually a moss wreath. lol!  Gotta keep you guessing.

DSC01945

Just before you enter the gate there is this small sitting area.  One might call it the parlor.  I did the flagstone (all by my little ol self) the first year we moved into our home.

DSC01952

A while ago the early blooming steppables were covered in tiny blossoms.  Now the moss and thyme are getting ready to bloom.  Don’t you love how the garden is ever changing?

DSC01288_thumb[2]

One must have plenty of eye candy in the parlor.  This planter box just got planted on Tuesday.

DSC01948

Before too long Morning Glory vines will be climbing the old screen door and rakes.

DSC01949

You might remember this from last year.  It was not a planned thing, just sort of happened.

f8cd94ad7072b7963c84e0b3a7bd00bd

DSC01950

A rustic thrift find metal pan is planted with sedums.

DSC01951

Next to the entrance of the gate is a sweet pink climbing rose.

DSC01946

And just inside the gate is a French Lilac bush. We are still enjoying this late bloomer.

DSC01944

A chippy stand holds a vintage watering can, a potted miniature rose, one of my old sprinklers, and a tool box planted with more sedums.  Next to it are an old pitchfork and shovel.  A chicken feeder planted with Lavender sits below.

DSC01952

No parlor would be complete with out a couple of chairs and a table.  I bought the chairs years ago at Target.  I had them sandblasted and powder coated about 5 years ago.  The table was built by my nieces husband years ago also.

Hope you felt right at home in the entry and parlor of my garden rooms!

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Fishtail Cottage for Garden Party

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

A Joyful Cottage for Every Room in the House-Outdoors

32 comments

camp and cottage living said...

Jann
Your Parlour looks like a very lovely place to sit and share a glass of tea!
I love the old rakes with the morning glories vining upward.

Art and Sand said...

Oh my goodness! I am in love with those turquoise chairs.

Jonni @ Minnie's Milestones said...

I loved the tour, especially the milk can and rakes. Happy accidents!

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Very pretty yard Jann - I love the flagstone!
Marie@The Interior Frugalista

Jutta.K. said...

Was für ein traumhafter Garten. Da wäre ich auch gerne zum träumen und genießen.
Danke für " Follower " in meinem mein Blog.
Schöne zeit
jutta

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Wonderful new flagstone walkway, Jann! I sooooo want to do that with our garden too! Perhaps we need to get on that soon. Hugs.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

What a beautiful parlor. You've inspired me to use my milk cans for something.

Stacey said...

I just adore the parlor in your backyard! The side area with stones is really pretty and a great way to solve a problem.

Rose L said...

You have so much energy to do so much not to mention your wonderful creativity!!

priscilla said...

Very pretty ,Jann ! Love the door and rakes as a trellis !

Helen and her Daughters said...

Beautiful!

Helen and her Daughters said...

Beautiful!

Suburban Girl said...

I think you would have liked my neighbor's gardens. She has since moved so I am glad to have the photos. Here is a blogpost i did before she moved. A little more eccentric than you though. :) http://thedustycellar.blogspot.com/2012/06/ideas.html

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

The tour was great and I love those chairs, such a bright beautiful color. I love having rooms outside in the garden.
Everything is so pretty - thank so much for sharing it with us.
Happy Gardening.....
Mary

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Oh I love the "parlor". You did a great job on the stone work! I remember the rake trellis from last year with the morning glory! Jann, you've definitely created a fun outdoor room.

ellen b. said...

I like these great ideas you have planted in my brain! Good work!

Susie said...

Jann, It all looks so good. I love the new pathway. I have a ton of stuff to do and it's already summertime...I am so far behind. xoxo,Susie

Babs said...

Great ideas. Love the pot of sedum and the moss and thyme on the flagstones.

Maria Elena said...

So pretty, Jann! Love the flagstones!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like a pretty place to relax and enjoy the company of a good friend and/or family.

Joy Junktion said...

Thank you for inviting us into your garden rooms. Just beautiful and so welcoming! Blessings, Cindy

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Your "parlor" is just lovely, Jann!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your outdoor parlor...it would be a pretty place to have a luncheon.
hugs,
Cindy

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Jann,
Ok I left a comment earlier and somehow it came onto my blog post. How weird is that I see it did not show up on your comments so I will try this again. Hopefully it will go on your blog and not mine.
Too weird when these things happen.
Kris

Fran. said...

very cool Mrs Olsen!! I would love to sit in your parlor anytime!! XOXO Love Fran.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Excellent sitting area - enjoying the gardens around you is just the best! However, do you sit there and notice all of thing things you need to do and start making mental notes? lol - I definitely do that when I sit on the patio! Thank you so much for linking up to this weeks Garden Party over here at Fishtail Cottage's! oxox

Lulu said...

Garden spaces are so special, and you have made yours very inviting.

Bonny Bonafilla said...

Lovely garden, Jann, with loads of original ideas. I love your rakes instead of trellis idea for the Morning Glory and your steppables are inspired: what a great way to cut down on the patio weeding. All beautiful and thank you for inviting us in to have a look around. All the best, Bonny

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh such fun, Jann! I'd love to visit in person! The rakes make for such a cute trellis. I must try this for my morning glories.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Lots of charm in your parlor, Jann. Your square wreath is really cute. . .like a picture frame around the view to your garden. Love those blue chairs! XX ~ Nancy

Unknown said...

Oh that clamatis growing up the rakes? Perfection - what a talent you have Jann - everything is just gorgeous!
Can you tell I'm playing catch up here LOL - I can't get enough of this!
XOXO

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Such an inviting garden area Jann. You must love sitting out there in summer!

Instagram