Turkey Talk. . .

With Thanksgiving only being 2 weeks away I think It’s time we did a little ‘Turkey Talk”.

As to “How many turkeys do you have in your home?  Now mind you, I’m not talking about the human type.  I’m sure that all of our numbers would increase drastically if I was. Hee-hee! I mean the decorative type.

Here’s a sampling of mine:

Some I have had for years.

That is the case with this ceramic turkey.  I made him over 25 years ago in a ceramic class.

IMG_4133

I bought this silly guy at Swiss Days a few years ago.  Just loved all of the homespun checks and plaids.

IMG_4135

This sitting ‘Tom’ and plant pick are more oldies that I painted a long time ago.  Remember, I use to teach tole painting?

IMG_4134

IMG_4131

These have been hanging around for years and years.

IMG_4137

I love my turkey plates.  I bought them 5 or 6 years ago at T.J. Maxx.  My sister, Jeanne got my mothers turkey platter.  Now that’s a keeper!

IMG_4138

IMG_4140

A few vintage reproduction postcards to celebrate the season.

IMG_4136

My turkey candy/condiment dish doesn’t stay filled long.

IMG_4143

This turkey candle holder is vintage.  It was once my sweet mothers.

IMG_4142

Another one I made.

IMG_4049

I showed this guy in my last post, but I couldn’t leave him out.

IMG_4130

Over the years I have had many more turkeys.  I have given some to my children.

Soon we’ll be enjoying turkey the old fashioned way.  Roasted and served on a platter.  Poor things, every year they sacrifice for us. Some even give up just their breasts.  That’s why I always say, “Mammogram, Mammogram, Mammogram!

Now that I’m on a roll I must tell you a joke.  There was a woman that went to the butcher and said she would like some chicken breasts cut and wrapped.  And could she have good sized ones.  She shopped a bit and then she heard over the intercom.  “Would the woman who wanted the large breasts please come to the butcher department.”  lol!  Gotta love it!

All kidding aside,  I can’t wait to spend the day with family.  I am so thankful for all of my many blessings. 

IMG_4141

I thank God everyday!

IMG_4146

I hope you all are having a wonderful November!

Jann

15 comments

camp and cottage living said...

Jann
I've never seen so many turkeys under one roof.
Aside from the human kind that you've mentioned!
I especially love your turkey plates.

Kris said...

Love all of your little gobble guys! I need to dig mine out. I have been feeling sort of lazy with the decorating lately. Just so ding dang busy! Today I am home with my sick grandson. Just a cold, but we are taking it easy.
Heading to the mtns though in the morning. Yee haw!! Have a great weekend. Loved the joke!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I love the candy dish! I have a few turkeys. I used to have more, then I pared back. I like those old postcards too!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the candy dish, too! You have a fun collection! We are so blessed to be able to have so many pretty things! ♥

Nicole Blean said...

Oh, I love all of the Thanksgiving pictures and decorting ideas. I just can't wait until Thanksgiving this year. Thanks for your enouraging comment on my last post, Jann!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I want some of those turkey plates! Love them! I really like your porch turkey too-he is too cute!

mimi_62 said...

Jann:
I just read the mammogram and chicken breasts sections to Frank. He thought that was really funny!! LOL

Vicki/Jake said...

Ummm...is this like talkin turkey? :) Love all your Toms. When I lived in Sanpete county, these dudes were all over the place. But they were white...
Can you believe November is almost half over already? Before we know it, spring and sandals will be here again! Ya, I had to get the boots out :(

Have a great weekend Jann..

Joanne said...

Awwww Man I only have two! a pair of turkey salt and pepper shakers. I had better get crackin' and buy some more! Your collection is so cute!
Blessings, Joanne

Nicole said...

Hi Mrs Olson!

Just catching up on some WAY overdue blogging (I just cant seem to find the time for it :( ) and came right over to see how you're been doing and catch up with your lovely posts. Just love all the turkeys- so precious. I live in Canada now, where we have our thanksgiving in early october, so when i see Americans getting ready for thanksgiving in november it always seems funny to me now.... but i miss the old days of Thanksgiving and Christmas only being a month apart- it makes it such a festive holiday season!

And you know I have a candy/condiment ceramic serving dish very much like the one you have, just without the turkey. I swear my leaves look just like yours do, I just have a handle in the middle insted of a turkey. Makes me want to go get all my Christmas decorations out but the hubs wont allow it until Dec 1st., :)

Blessings!

andrea@townandprairie said...

I love the candleholder. My grandmother had those, too. andrea@townandprairie

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,

Great post!!
Love your turkey collection, and the plates are just gorgeous...
Do some of the turkeys stay out for Christmas too?
Have a great weekend!
All the Best,
Christine

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

Hi Jann, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and for your very sweet comment ~ also too for following along & entering my giveaway :) I will wish you luck! You have some wonderful Turkey's in your home; I especially love the plates ~ I don't have a single one in my home...but will on Thanksgiving, lol :)

Warmest hugs, Brenda

Diane Writes said...

Hi Jann! They all look so lovely and inviting. But I must say that those M&Ms caught my eye. I want to have one now. hahaha Wishing you a great day ahead!

EG CameraGirl said...

Cool collection. I've never thought of collecting turkeys before but it's a fun idea.

Instagram